Trump maintains he can intervene in cases after Barr urges him to curb tweeting

Source: The Hill | February 14, 2020 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Friday asserted he has “the legal right” to insert himself into the Justice Department’s handling of criminal cases one day after Attorney General William Barr said the president’s tweets were making his job more difficult.

Trump cited Barr’s comments from an ABC News interview in which the attorney general said Trump had not asked him to take certain action in a criminal case.

“This doesn’t mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!” Trump tweeted.

The tweet was Trump’s first comment on the matter since the Barr interview aired on Thursday.

Barr told ABC News in an interview that Trump never asked him to act in a criminal case, including longtime associate Roger Stone’s, but that tweets about the Department of Justice and its employees “make it impossible to do my job and to assure the courts and the prosecutors in the department that we are doing our work with integrity.”

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr said.

………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.