Trump mind-bogglingly defends the Soviets

Source: Washington Examiner | January 2, 2019 | Quin Hillyer

If presidents could be impeached for ignorance, Donald Trump just merited impeachment for endorsing the Soviet Union’s brutal 1979 invasion of Afghanistan.

To listen to what Trump said today at a Cabinet meeting is to enter a bizarrely anti-moral alternative universe. In a confused, ahistorical, and rambling comment in a ramblingly reality-deprived confab, Trump uttered this stunningly benighted take on the Soviets’ attempt to conquer and permanently communize Afghanistan: “The reason Russia was in Afghanistan was because terrorists were going into Russia. They [the Soviets] were right to be there.”

Right to be there? Really?

In 1979, there were no “terrorists” from Afghanistan going into the Soviet Union. None. Not even the Soviets claimed as much. The official Soviet excuse for invading was to shore up the supposedly legitimate Afghani government (itself installed in a pro-Soviet coup in the previous year), which had been upending local customs and brutalizing its internal enemies.

There was nothing “right” about the invasion. Not even close. Virtually the whole international community, even nations which usually kowtowed to the Soviets whenever conflicts arose, sharply denounced this flagrantly illegitimate use of Soviet power. The U.N. General Assembly, often a Soviet-friendly conclave, passed a resolution against the invasion, 104-18. In protest against the invasion, some 66 nations joined the U.S.-led boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow.

……..

For an American president to say the Soviets were “right” to invade Afghanistan is mind-boggling. It’s morally akin to approving Mussolini’s fascist invasion and subjugation of Ethiopia or even the “ killing fields” of Pol Pot. It is unfathomable. It is an outrage.

Trump is either historically illiterate or morally monstrous. Let’s hope it’s the former. Either way, he should recant his remarks. They sully the Oval Office and the nation which its occupant is supposed to serve.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #27124

Consistent #27125

Consistent #27126

Consistent #27127

Consistent #27133

Consistent #27142

EVERYDAY #27147

Jonah Goldberg says “I’m old enough to remember when GOP presidents didn’t think the USSR was right to invade Afghanistan.”

Well, I remember when American presidents were not so enamored with the dictatorships and their dictators. Trump is embarrassing the US and scaring our allies by cozying up to the likes of Putin and Kim. Heck, he’s scaring me.

Trump has his fans convinced that Russia is our friend. I fear he wants to set himself up as dictator like Putin. The fans have already been persuaded that the judiciary is the enemy and congress is useless. Wouldn’t take much to persuade them to staging a coup.

Trump has to go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.