Trump notes 'election meddling by Russia' in tweet criticizing Obama

Source: The Hill | June 23, 2017 | Jesse Byrnes

President Trump late Friday appeared to acknowledge Russia’s efforts to meddle in the 2016 presidential election while seizing on a new report to criticize his predecessor.

Trump mentioned “election meddling by Russia” in a tweet slamming former President Barack Obama’s administration for doing “nothing” about Russia’s interference before the election.

Trump has long dismissed inquiries into Russia’s attempts to interfere in the election despite the U.S. intelligence community’s assessment that they did so in an effort to help elect Trump.

On Thursday, Trump claimed in tweets that last year’s hacking of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and other political groups was a “hoax” created by the Democratic Party.

“She’s saying Russia, Russia, Russia, but I don’t – maybe it was,” Trump said during a presidential debate with Hillary Clinton in September while discussing the hacking of DNC emails.

“It could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be someone sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds,” he said.

More recently, Trump has blasted the investigation into possible ties between his campaign and Russia during the election, calling it a “made up story” and “a total hoax.”

…….

“Well I just heard today for the first time that Obama knew about Russia a long time before the election, and he did nothing about it. But nobody wants to talk about that,” Trump said in the “Fox and Friends Weekend” interview airing Sunday.

“The CIA gave him information on Russia a long time before they even –– before the election. And I hardly see it. It’s an amazing thing,” Trump said.

“If he had the information, why didn’t he do something about it? He should have done something about it.  But you don’t read that. It’s quite sad,” Trump said.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.