Trump on impeachment and Nixon: ‘He left. I don’t leave.’

Source: Politico | June 10, 2019 | Pia Deshpande

President Donald Trump, whose actions during the Russia investigation have prompted comparisons to the Watergate scandal, drew a distinction between himself and President Richard Nixon on Monday: “He left. I don’t leave. A big difference.”

He made the comment on the same day that John Dean, the former Nixon White House counsel, appeared before the House Judiciary Committee for a hearing on special counsel Robert Mueller’s report, which outlined possible obstruction of justice by Trump. Dean testified that he saw “remarkable parallels” between Nixon’s actions and Trump’s.

The president spoke to reporters a short while later from the South Lawn of the White House and answered questions about the possibility of impeachment.

“We have no collusion, no obstruction, no anything,” Trump said during an event honoring this year’s Indianapolis 500 champion, Simon Pagenaud, and Team Penske. “When you look at past impeachments, whether it was President Clinton or — I guess President Nixon never got there. He left. I don’t leave. A big difference. I don’t leave.”

Even before Dean appeared, the president wrote on Twitter that he was a “disgraced Nixon White House Counsel who is a paid CNN contributor” and that “Democrats just want a do-over which they’ll never get!”

……….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #29989

EVERYDAY #29992

“I don’t leave.”

For this nation, this statement is true, regrettably.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.