Trump Organization considers selling Washington hotel

Source: Politico | October 25, 2019 | Quint Forgey

The hotel’s influential guests and the president’s refusal to divest himself has opened Trump to accusations of impropriety.

The Trump Organization is considering selling its luxury hotel in Washington, D.C., after years of scrutiny of alleged conflicts of interest and breaches of the Constitution since Donald Trump ascended to the White House.

“Since we opened our doors, we have received tremendous interest in this hotel and as real estate developers, we are always willing to explore our options,” Eric Trump, executive vice president of The Trump Organization told POLITICO in a statement.

…….

The Trump International Hotel Washington, which occupies a 120-year-old Romanesque structure formerly known as the Old Post Office Building, is one block from the National Mall and has served as an opulent rendezvous point for Republican politicos, administration officials and other allies of the White House.

But the hotel’s influential guests and the president’s refusal to divest himself from his business properties has opened Trump up to accusations that he has broken federal law through his business — including violating the Constitution’s emoluments, or anticorruption, clauses.

Eric Trump acknowledged such criticism was a factor in The Trump Organization’s new openness to selling the hotel, telling POLITICO: “People are objecting to us making so much money on the hotel, and therefore we may be willing to sell.”

………

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #32907

Consistent #32908

Consistent #32921

EVERYDAY #32922

And I thought Trump said he wasn’t making any money being president. Maybe not directly from the presidency, but he still profits from his company. Of course, should Trump sell this property, he’s going to personally benefit financially.

When the hotel first opened, I believe there was some difficulty filling the rooms, mostly because it was charging thousands to stay there. There are still some suites for a thousand or so per night, but basic room rates were lowered. Maybe that change attracted more guests, but I suspect that hotel hasn’t been the moneymaker the Trumps thought it would be.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.