Trump praises Turkey's Erdoğan after US announces cease-fire deal

Source: The Hill | October 17, 2019 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Thursday showered Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan with praise after the two sides announced a temporary cease-fire in northern Syria, with Turkey temporarily halting its military offensive.

The president declared the deal an “amazing outcome” even as many questions remain about the terms and Ankara’s commitment to a cease-fire. Trump repeatedly credited Erdoğan, hailing the strong-arm president as a “hell of a leader.”

“I just want to thank and congratulate President Erdoğan. He’s a friend of mine, and I’m glad we didn’t have a problem because, frankly, he’s a hell of a leader, and he’s a tough man,” Trump told reporters while traveling in Texas.

“He’s a strong man, and he did the right thing and I really appreciate it, and I will appreciate it in the future.”

Trump said he expects Erdoğan to visit the White House next month for a previously announced visit.

“What he did was very smart, and it was great for the people of Turkey,” Trump said. “And they’re lucky that it was him that was making the decision.”

………

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.