Trump promotes use of drug for coronavirus: 'I'm not a doctor. But I have common sense'

Source: The Hill | April 5, 2020 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Sunday forcefully touted the use of hydroxychloroquine as a potential means to combat or even prevent the onset of symptoms from coronavirus, wading further into a medical debate that has put him at odds with some of his top health experts.

Trump said the government has stockpiled 29 million pills of the drug, which is also used to treat lupus. For a second consecutive day, he suggested even those without symptoms of coronavirus might consider taking the drug despite limited evidence about its efficacy in treating the virus.

“I just think it’s something — you know the expression I’ve used it for certain reasons — what do you have to lose?” he said. “I’m not looking at it one way or another. But we want to get out of this. If it does work, it would be a shame if we didn’t do it early.”

“What do I know, I’m not a doctor,” he added. “But I have common sense.”

The president has for days opined on the potential efficacy of hydroxychloroquine when taken with azithromycin.

But Sunday’s comments marked the farthest he has veered into playing armchair doctor. He acknowledged the drug may not work, but suggested there was no time to wait and let clinical trials play out.

“I want people to live, and I’m seeing people dying,” he said. “And you know the expression when that’s happening. You should do it. What really do we have to lose?”

……..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #37938

Consistent #37939

Consistent #37940

Consistent #37941

Consistent #37947

Consistent #37950

EVERYDAY #37957

See my response to the Berman-Navarro exchange. Suddenly, everyone is an expert, except the experts.

I expect that much of this is an effort to undermine Dr. Fauci. Trump, the narcissist, doesn’t like to be corrected or “shown up” by someone a lot smarter than he is.

The result is that we ordinary people are getting conflicting information. This is yet another example of lack of leadership. We don’t know who or what to believe. And that situation will cost more lives than the virus itself.

Consistent #37967

Consistent #37969

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.