Trump raises idea of delaying election

Source: The Hill | July 30, 2020 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Thursday suggested delaying the 2020 elections, something he does not have the power to do unilaterally, as he levied fresh attacks against mail-in voting.

Trump, who is badly trailing presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden in national polls, framed the suggestion as a question and argued that with more mail-in ballots there would be more fraud.

There is no evidence to support the idea that either absentee or mail-in ballots increases voter fraud. It also does not appear that there will be universal mail-in voting this fall, though some states require mail-in ballots.

“With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history,” Trump tweeted. “It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote???”

The tweet marked the first time Trump has raised the idea of delaying the November elections, an idea he previously rejected amid concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

But the president has for weeks railed against the expansion of mail-in voting, which more and more states are embracing as an alternative to in-person voting during the pandemic.

Election Day takes place on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November, as determined by federal law. Moving the date would require an act of Congress.

Trump’s tweet is likely to fuel concerns from critics and watchdogs who worry about the president attempting to undermine the legitimacy of the 2020 presidential election. In an interview earlier this month with “Fox News Sunday,” Trump would not commit to accepting the results of November’s election.

…….

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41571

Consistent #41572

EVERYDAY #41576

Trump can go pound sand. I just applied for and was approved to receive a mail-in ballot In this state one can get an absentee ballot (for those who will be away from their place of residence such as the deployed military) or a mail-in ballot for those who cannot physically vote at the local polls (elderly, chronically ill, etc.) I am old and have health issues, but up till now I always voted in person because the polling place was within walking distance of my house. But the authorities here have moved my polling place further away to a church basement. Too far to walk, I don’t drive plus with COVID, I don’t relish putting myself at risk being in a small room with questionable ventilation surrounded by people I don’t know. Anyone who wants me to vote will have to accept mail-in.

Bravo to our usually lazy, lamebrained Republican leadership for standing firm against Trump’s attempts to postpone the election. Trump thinks by postponing the election, he would have more time to turn around his failing poll numbers. I have news for him. It’s too late. His re-election was sunk once voters witnessed his appalling lack of leadership during this pandemic. I believe they have decided enough is enough and wouldn’t vote for him even if the election was delayed.

Consistent #41592

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.