Trump repeats debunked Ukraine claim a day after Hill's tough testimony

Source: The Hill | November 22, 2019 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Friday repeated his debunked claim that Ukraine is connected to a hacked Democratic server from the 2016 election, the same assertion that he raised on his call with the Ukrainian president at the heart of an impeachment inquiry.

Trump made the claim a day after a former White House official with expertise on Russia, Fiona Hill, chastised Republicans for giving air in the impeachment hearings to conspiracy theories that Ukraine, and not Russia, was a driver of foreign interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Hill’s statements to the House Intelligence Committee essentially rebuked her former boss, as Trump has repeatedly floated the theory — and did so again on Friday.

“They gave the server to CrowdStrike or whatever it’s called, which is a company owned by a very wealthy Ukrainian, and I still want to see that server,” Trump told the hosts of “Fox & Friends.”

“A lot of it had to do, they say, with Ukraine,” he said. “Why did they give it to a Ukrainian company?”

“Are you sure they did that?” co-host Steve Doocey asked.

“That’s what the word is,” Trump responded. “That’s what I asked actually on my phone call, you know. I asked it very point-blank because we’re looking for corruption. There’s tremendous corruption. Why should we be giving hundreds of millions of dollars to countries when there’s this kind of corruption?”

CrowdStrike is a U.S. company that was hired to investigate the hack of Democratic servers. The comments reflect Trump’s insistence on clinging to a conspiracy theory that some of his top advisers have called baseless and that has helped land him in an impeachment inquiry.

Trump’s remarks on Friday were remarkable given the high-profile testimony of Hill, who has authored a book about Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Hill on Thursday asked lawmakers on the Intelligence Committee that in the course of their work they “please not promote politically driven falsehoods that so clearly advance Russian interests.”

“The fictions are harmful even if they are deployed for purely domestic political purposes,” she testified.

“Based on questions and statements I have heard, some of you on this committee appear to believe that Russia and its security services did not conduct a campaign against our country — and that perhaps, somehow, for some reason, Ukraine did,” Hill said in a statement. “This is a fictional narrative that has been perpetrated and propagated by the Russian security services themselves.”

……..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #33623

Consistent #33624

Consistent #33625

Consistent #33632

Consistent #33635

EVERYDAY #33637

Doesn’t matter to Trump and his supporters if the claim is true or not. They will continue to repeat it from now till doomsday. They subscribe to the theory that if you repeat something often enough, it will become true.

Consistent #33689

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.