Trump says Air Force stays at his Scotland resort have 'NOTHING TO DO WITH ME'

Source: Politico | September 9, 2019 | Caitlin Oprysko

President Donald Trump on Monday denied any involvement in a shift in military practice that has allowed Air Force crews to overnight at his luxury Turnberry golf resort in Scotland.

“I know nothing about an Air Force plane landing at an airport (which I do not own and have nothing to do with) near Turnberry Resort (which I do own) in Scotland, and filling up with fuel, with the crew staying overnight at Turnberry (they have good taste!),” Trump said in a tweet, claiming that the decision for crews to overnight at the luxury seaside resort has “NOTHING TO DO WITH ME.”

The U.S. Air Force on Sunday ordered a world-wide review of how the branch chooses overnight accomodations for its crews following a POLITICO report revealing that the House Oversight Committee was investigating an uptick in unusual stops there — stops that included overnight stays at Trump Turnberry by Air Force crews in the last four years.

Typically, Air Force crews will stop at U.S. military bases elsewhere in Europe to refuel, where it would be cheaper to do so. But according to a letter the Oversight Committee sent the Pentagon in June, the military has spent $11 million on fuel at the Prestwick Airport — the closest to Trump Turnberry — since October 2017.

The committee’s investigation, which began in April of this year, is probing whether the stops pose a conflict of interest for the president and whether the military is helping to prop up Trump’s resort, which had been losing money. An aide for the committee told POLITICO that the Pentagon has not responded to their inquiries as part of the probe.

…….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #31639

ConservativeGranny #31650

Trump’s resort there has been losing money. I read that the nearby airport, Shannon Airport, is struggling financially. If it closes it will be the final nail in the coffin for the resort.

EVERYDAY #31665

Our tax dollars at work– propping up a Trump business.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.