Trump says he might reject stricter FDA vaccine guidelines

Source: Politico | September 23, 2020 | Lauren Morello and Adam Cancryn

The FDA has reportedly proposed stricter emergency authorization standards, which are now under review by the White House Office of Management and Budget.

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that the White House may not approve tougher FDA guidelines for authorizing the emergency use of any coronavirus vaccines.

“That has to be approved by the White House,” Trump said. “We may or may not approve it.”

Trump also suggested that the FDA’s decision to revise the standards, first issued in June, “was a political move more than anything else.” The president has repeatedly vowed that a vaccine would be available by Election Day, although prominent scientists within his administration have said it’s extremely unlikely.

The stricter FDA standards cleared a review by the Department of Health and Human Services on Tuesday, with the expectation that the White House would soon approve them, according to two people with knowledge of the timeline.

Trump’s remarks came hours after he spoke with HHS Secretary Alex Azar about the FDA proposal, two people familiar with the situation said. The president’s criticism throws into jeopardy an effort viewed as key to boosting public confidence in any eventual coronavirus vaccine.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43049

Consistent #43050

EVERYDAY #43065

Of course. He wants to be re-elected. Who cares if the vaccines rushed to market don’t work or people get sick and die from them?

And where the H are our elected representatives on this? Why are they silent? Why does the FDA need White House approval? Agencies like the FDA and the CDC are supposed to be apolitical. Isn’t his meddling with the FDA and the CDC illegal?

Well, like I said before, I am not getting a coronavirus vaccine if it comes out by the end of this year. Maybe next year, but I doubt a safe and reliable vaccine will be ready even then.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.