Trump says he pulled back Iran strike because of potential death toll

Source: Politico | June 21, 2019 | Caitlin Oprysko

The president said the strike would not have been ‘proportionate’ to Iran’s attack on an unmanned drone.

President Donald Trump on Friday confirmed that he called off a retaliatory strike on Iran at the last minute Thursday night, saying he decided that the potential cost of human lives was “not proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone.”

“We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights [sic] when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General. 10 minutes before the strike I stopped it,” Trump wrote in a series of tweets, adding that not only would such an attack have been disproportionate, “I am in no hurry, our Military is rebuilt, new, and ready to go, by far the best in the world.”

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said Thursday it had shot down an American drone, claiming it had entered Iranian airspace, an assertion sharply disputed by the U.S., which has maintained the drone was over international waters. Both countries have produced what they say is evidence supporting their diverging positions.

Iran’s attack, which took place amid steadily escalating tensions between Washington and Tehran, prompted the president to summon congressional leaders to the White House for a briefing in the Situation Room on Thursday afternoon and drew mixed reactions from Iran hawks and anti-interventionists in Congress.

……….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #30183

Consistent #30185

Consistent #30186

Consistent #30187

EVERYDAY #30193

I think I’ve been had. Another reality tv crisis where Trump, at almost the last minute, saves Iran from an impending missile strike. Yeah. Right.

So sick and tired of phony crises and controversies. And it looks like we could have another 4 years of this nonsense — that is, if one of his fake crises doesn’t end up in an horrific destruction of this country before then.

Please…someone…get the hook and get him off the stage before he destroys us all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.