Trump says he told Kemp: ‘I totally disagree’ with move to reopen Georgia

Source: Politico | April 22, 2020 | Caitlin Oprysko

The governor’s decision drew a backlash from critics who pointed to indicators that the state’s number of new cases was still on an upward trajectory.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he’d informed Gov. Brian Kemp of Georgia that he “strongly” disagreed with the governor’s decision to begin reopening parts of the state as soon as Friday, a high-profile break from a Republican ally.

“I told the governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp, that I disagree strongly with his decision to open certain facilities,” Trump said at a White House coronavirus task force press briefing, doling out praise for “strong, resolute” Georgia residents.

Kemp announced earlier this week that he would allow certain types of businesses — including hair and nail salons, barbershops, gyms, tattoo parlors and bowling alleys — to reopen beginning Friday, as long as businesses practiced certain mitigation efforts to a surge in coronavirus infections in the state.

…….

Trump on Wednesday asserted that Kemp’s rolled-back restrictions were “in violation” of the first step of his administration’s phased plan to return to normal and revive the economic standstill.

At the same time, Trump indicated he was not so opposed to Kemp’s decision that he would ask the federal government to step in.

“He must do what he thinks is right. I want him to do what he thinks is right, but I disagree with him on what he is doing,” the president said. He argued that he felt Kemp had moved “just too soon,” and seemed not to rule out federal intervention “if I see something totally egregious, totally out of line.”

“I think it’s too soon, and I love the people,” Trump said. “I love those people that use all of those things, the spas, the beauty parlors, the barbershops, tattoo parlors, I love them. But they can wait a little bit longer, just a little bit — not much — because safety has to predominate.”

………

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #38375

Consistent #38376

Consistent #38377

Consistent #38378

Consistent #38379

Consistent #38380

EVERYDAY #38381

Next, we will hear Trump never heard of Kemp, never met him and never said he disagreed with the reopening of Georgia. Fake news, ya know.

Philip Klein says “It’s not clear what Trump actually wants to see happen.” That’s one of the many problems I have with this president. Who knows what he’s saying or what he means? Much of the time his unrehearsed remarks and his tweets are unintelligible. This is a man who was supposedly well educated, who is allegedly a graduate of the prestigious Wharton School, but his communication skills are atrocious. No one really knows what he is saying, what he means or what he wants.

Consistent #38384

This is before the briefing:

EVERYDAY #38392

So what is the truth? Is Donnie happy about the Georgia reopening or not?

Guess we will never know for sure.

ConservativeGranny #38401

He’s not. Seems he was told to say what he said by his task force and Dr. Birx.

EVERYDAY #38416

Real leadership.

God help us.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.