Trump says he wants the country 'opened up and just raring to go by Easter,' despite health experts' warnings

Source: CNN | March 24, 2020 | Kevin Liptak and Maegan Vazquez

(CNN) – President Donald Trump says he wants the nation “opened up and just raring to go by Easter” — a date just more than two weeks away that few health experts believe will be sufficient in containing the spread of coronavirus.

Speaking during a Fox News town hall on Tuesday, Trump reiterated he was eager to see the nation return to normal soon, even as doctors warn the nation will see a massive spike in cases if Americans return to crowded workplaces or events.

“I give it two weeks,” Trump said earlier in the town hall, suggesting he was ready to phase out his 15-day self-isolating guidelines when they expire. “I guess by Monday or Tuesday, it’s about two weeks. We will assess at that time and give it more time if we need a little more time. We have to open this country up.”

But Trump said Monday that the health experts on his task force do not necessarily agree with his hope for a quick return to their jobs to boost the economy. Some Republicans on Capitol Hill, including Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa and Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, are also sounding the alarm.

“There will be no normally functioning economy if our hospitals are overwhelmed and thousands of Americans of all ages, including our doctors and nurses, lay dying because we have failed to do what’s necessary to stop the virus,” Cheney, the No. 3 House Republican, tweeted Tuesday.

Trump’s new Easter goal — to have the country back to normal by Sunday, April 12 — came hours after the New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that the state is expecting a height of coronavirus infections to come in two to three weeks.

In a separate Fox News interview later Tuesday, the President provided a little more reasoning behind his timeline.

“So, I think Easter Sunday, and you’ll have packed churches all over our country. I think it would be a beautiful time. And it’s just about the timeline that I think is right,” he said.

……….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #36605

Consistent #36606

Consistent #36607

Consistent #36608

Consistent #36609

Consistent #36610

Consistent #36611

Consistent #36612

Consistent #36613

Consistent #36614

Consistent #36615

Consistent #36616

Consistent #36617

Consistent #36619

ConservativeGranny #36620

Is there any doubt in anyone’s mind that Trump is mentally unbalanced? Trump now thinks he’s the Easter Bunny.

EVERYDAY #36621

What Trump wants and what he might get could be two different things, especially in states where a lockdown is in place by order of governors and local officials. I don’t believe the federal government has the authority under the Constitution to usurp the states’ rights to issue lockdown orders.

And it’s easy for Beck to say older Americans should return to work, potentially putting the lives of that age group at risk. His job can be done without other people present — no risk to him of infection. What sacrifice would he be making by working?

Granny, I’d say both Trump and his fans have lost their minds.

Consistent #36622

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.