Trump says he will designate antifa a terrorist organization

Source: The Hill | May 31, 2020 | Brandon Conradis and Justine Coleman

President Trump on Sunday tweeted that he was preparing to designate anti-fascist activists known as antifa as a terrorist organization amid growing unrest over the death of an unarmed black man at the hands of police, raising questions about his legal authority to do so.

“The United States of America will be designating ANTIFA as a Terrorist Organization,” Trump tweeted, as the nation reeled from another night of protests sweeping the country, from Minneapolis to Columbus, Ohio, to Washington, D.C.

……..

His announcement came the same day Attorney General William Barr said the Justice Department would seek to identify “criminal organizers and instigators” amid the demonstrators, who have been protesting the killing of George Floyd, a black man who died in police custody in Minneapolis on Monday.

Barr in his Sunday statement said the Department of Justice will work with its 56 regional FBI Joint Terrorism Task Forces to focus on “apprehending and charging the violent radical agitators who have hijacked peaceful protest and are engaged in violations of federal law.” 

“Preventing reconciliation and driving us apart is the goal of these radical groups, and we cannot let them succeed,” he said.

“The violence instigated and carried out by Antifa and other similar groups in connection with the rioting is domestic terrorism and will be treated accordingly,” Barr added.

……..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39563

Consistent #39564

Consistent #39565

Consistent #39566

Consistent #39567

Consistent #39568

Consistent #39569

Consistent #39570

Consistent #39571

Consistent #39572

Consistent #39580

Consistent #39581

EVERYDAY #39589

I expect this will accomplish little. Maybe one or two people will be arrested for show. What is really needed is a full-on investigation into all of these terror groups — who is really in charge and who is financing them. Find the money trail and follow it to the source or sources., then cut them down. Without money the terrorists can’t ply their trade.

Violent protests have been going on intermittently for decades and they are getting worse. The rioters set St. John’s Church on fire last night and there is a report that St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York was vandalized. These terrorists are attacking our houses of worship. This means war. The question is, will the Trump administration, unlike previous presidential administrations, have the balls to really root out the source and destroy it? Or are we just going to get a whole lot of bravado, but no action — as usual?

Consistent #39739

EVERYDAY #39743

Then I would say the FBI didn’t look hard enough. Someone or something is behind the violence.

ConservativeGranny #39745

I can’t believe I’m saying this but Trump’s actions the past 4 years have shown me that he knows no boundaries nor does he think there are any limits to what he can do. He is like a cornered animal now. I think I have a pretty good idea who is behind the violence and perhaps even who started that little fire in the church across the street from the WH. Trump didn’t dirty his own hands of course. Trump was sure quick to point the fingers at Antifa.

EVERYDAY #39753

I’ve heard several dozen theories about who or what is behind these riots. This is why I would love to see someone with enough stones to really do an in-depth investigation. Sadly, I doubt we will get that kind of investigation from this administration. All we ever get are smoke and mirrors.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.