Trump says he'll turn to Supreme Court if Congress begins impeachment

Source: Politico | April 24, 2019 | Katie Galioto

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he would turn to the Supreme Court if the House of Representatives moves to impeach him, though it is unclear what role the nation’s highest court could play if the president were to seek its help in such a situation.

Trump claimed in a tweet posted Wednesday morning that special counsel Robert Mueller’s report was written by a team biased against him with “unlimited money” for an investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Still, he said, the report “didn’t lay a glove on me.”

“I DID NOTHING WRONG,” Trump said. “If the partisan Dems ever tried to Impeach, I would first head to the U.S. Supreme Court.”

Although Trump claimed he would seek the Supreme Court’s help if the House were to impeach him, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously in 1993 that authority for impeachment trials resides in Congress and ”nowhere else.”

A number of congressional Democrats have called for the initiation of impeachment proceedings against the president after a redacted version of Mueller’s report was released to the public Thursday. The special counsel’s probe found proof of Russian meddling in the 2016 election but did not establish evidence of a conspiracy between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.

Mueller also did not take a stance on whether the president obstructed justice, but detailed 10 episodes in which Trump tried to interfere with the Russia investigation. He wrote that Congress has the authority to conduct its own probes into the president’s actions, a passage fueling much of lawmakers’ conversation about impeachment.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #29094

Consistent #29096

ConservativeGranny #29097

He claims he is innocent of obstruction of justice and yet here he is, once again, obstructing justice. This guy is a really slow learner. Amazing he is so ignorant of the Constitution and how this country works. Did he think he was elected to rule like a king? That there were no limits on a POTUS? I really think he believes that. He has no idea about so many things. Very uneducated and it shows. I can’t think of anyone less qualified to hold the job than Donald Trump. Where does he get the idea that he can go to the SC about this? Don’t his lawyers set him straight?

EVERYDAY #29098

Granny, I don’t believe Trump listens to anyone except maybe his kids and Kushner.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.