Trump signs executive orders after coronavirus relief talks falter

Source: The Hill | August 8, 2020 | Morgan Chalfant,Naomi Jagoda and Brett Samuels

President Trump on Saturday signed orders to extend unemployment benefits, suspend payroll taxes, and offer federal eviction and student loan relief, taking unilateral action that is on shaky legal ground amid stalled negotiations about a fifth round of coronavirus relief in Congress. 

The president announced the slew of executive actions from his private club in Bedminster, N.J., where he is spending the weekend after lawmakers on Capitol Hill were unable to reach an agreement with White House negotiators.

The president was not physically present for any of the talks over the last few weeks, but has said he received regular updates from his staff.

One memo extends the enhanced unemployment benefits that expired roughly two weeks ago and have been critical to millions of Americans out of work due to the pandemic. The benefits will be lowered from $600 to $400 per week, with states required to cover 25 percent of the cost, Trump said.

Another of the orders directs the Treasury Department to allow employers to defer payment of employee-side Social Security payroll taxes through the end of 2020 for Americans earning less than about $100,000 annually. The text of the executive order states that the intended deferral period would start Sept. 1, but Trump suggested that it could be retroactive to Aug. 1. Trump also said that he hoped to forgive the deferred payroll taxes and make permanent payroll tax cuts if he is reelected in November.

……..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41795

Consistent #41802

Consistent #41803

EVERYDAY #41804

These orders will probably be found to be illegal and unconstitutional by the courts. And since the taxpayers will be footing the bill for the cost of defending these orders, there goes more taxpayer money down the drain.

This is all for show to get Trump re-elected. People will think while congress dickers, Trump is the one who is doing something. Trump is the only one who cares. Well, he cares all right — about HIM! It’s another one of his gimmicks. More reality tv.

Oh, and by the way, if we voters re-elect him, he says he will make the payroll tax cut permanent, fund SS and Medicare, blah, blah, blah. More promises he can’t keep on his own without congress. Not that he will even remember these promises once re-elected anyway. Four more years of broken promises and lies. I can hardly wait.

SIGH!

Consistent #41815

EVERYDAY #41818

Gotta love The Lincoln Project. They hit Trump where he lives and he and his fans hate it. That makes them ok in my book even though I won’t vote for Biden as they would like.

ConservativeGranny #41824

As long as you don’t vote for Kanye I can live with that:)

EVERYDAY #41825

Uh…..no. LOL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.