Trump slams Texas ‘RINOS’ over Paxton impeachment effort

Source: Politico | May 27, 2023 | Giselle Ruhiyyih Ewing

The Texas House later voted to impeach Paxton, triggering his suspension from office.

Former President Donald Trump on Saturday gave his full backing to Ken Paxton as the Texas attorney general faced historic impeachment proceedings led by state Republicans.

Trump took to Truth Social to praise the embattled attorney general and condemn both “Radical Left Democrats” and “RINOS” alike.

“I love Texas, won it twice in landslides, and watched as many other friends, including Ken Paxton, came along with me,” Trump wrote. “Hopefully Republicans in the Texas House will agree that this is a very unfair process that should not be allowed to happen or proceed—I will fight you if it does.”

The Texas House later voted to impeach Paxton, triggering his suspension from office.

Trump lashed out in particular at Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan, who Trump called “barely a Republican at all.” Trump also declared the proceedings “election interference,” and said “Free Ken Paxton, let them wait for the next election!”

In 2020, Paxton asked the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn President Joe Biden’s electoral defeat of Trump.

Scandals have followed Paxton throughout his career, with the latest accusations of bribery and abuse of public trust resulting in the GOP-majority House convening Saturday to begin impeachment proceedings.

As only the third official in Texas’ history to meet such a fate, Paxton will be removed from office pending a Senate trial. Republican Gov. Greg Abbott will appoint an interim replacement. Final removal would require a two-thirds vote in the Senate, where Paxton’s wife, Angela, is a member.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #58050

Consistent #58051

EVERYDAY #58054

Trump calls them RINOS, but actually, they are what real Republicans used to be. Trumpies have hijacked “Republican” to mean only themselves. The party today is a cult in service to an orange pseudo-god. They don’t care about the voters and the country they should be serving.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.