Trump Supporter Logic, Explained

Source: National Review | May 20, 2016 | David French

Whenever I write against Donald Trump, I get dozens of replies that go something like this, “Did you see what McConnell and the GOPe did yesterday? That’s what ‘principled conservatism’ brought us. Now it’s time for Trump.” I must confess that I wonder if intelligent, rational people are making this argument in good faith.

Here seems to be their reasoning: If I’m opposed to Mitch McConnell’s actions (which I often am, though I also know he and House leaders have done a great deal of good) — then rather than seeking to persuade him to change course and supporting politicians and primary opponents who I believe are both principled conservatives and men of integrity, I should cast my lot with a demagogue who — as I’ve said before — combines old-school Democratic ideology, a bizarre form of hyper-violent isolationism, fringe conspiracy theories, crass personal insults, and serial lies with an enthusiastic flock of online racists to create perhaps the most toxic electoral coalition since George Wallace.

…..

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.