Trump taunts House Democrats on impeachment: 'Do it now, fast'

Source: Politico | December 5, 2019 | Quint Forgey

The president tweeted that he wants to move on to a “fair” trial in the Republican-controlled Senate.

President Donald Trump on Thursday brazenly urged House Democrats whom he claimed are already hell-bent on impeaching him to get it over with already, so he could plead his case during a “fair” trial in the Republican-controlled Senate.

The president’s directive to lawmakers came one day after the House Judiciary Committee heard testimony from constitutional scholars on whether Trump’s conduct justified his removal from office. It also came a little more than an hour before Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced that the House would move forward with drafting articles of impeachment.

“The Do Nothing Democrats had a historically bad day yesterday in the House. They have no Impeachment case and are demeaning our Country. But nothing matters to them, they have gone crazy,” Trump wrote on Twitter.

“Therefore I say, if you are going to impeach me, do it now, fast, so we can have a fair … trial in the Senate, and so that our Country can get back to business,” he continued.

Top White House officials and Senate Republicans agreed last month that the chamber should conduct a full trial and not dismiss out of hand impeachment articles if they are approved by the House. White House counsel Pat Cipollone met Wednesday with GOP senators to further plot strategy for the likely proceedings.

Trump has previously asserted that “frankly, I want a trial,” and demanded testimony by Democratic rivals including House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff, as well as former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

“We will have Schiff, the Bidens, Pelosi and many more testify, and will reveal, for the first time, how corrupt our system really is,” Trump tweeted Thursday. “I was elected to ‘Clean the Swamp,’ and that’s what I am doing!”

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #33936

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.