Trump threatens to deploy active-duty military to quell protests

Source: Politico | June 1, 2020 | Lara Seligman

States have activated more National Guardsmen than any other time in U.S. history.

President Donald Trump on Monday threatened to deploy active-duty U.S. troops if states refuse to make use of their National Guard, a move that would dramatically escalate the federal response to the violent protests that have erupted around the country.

Trump, speaking at the White House as police nearby fired rubber bullets at protesters, said he “strongly recommended” every governor fully deploy the National Guard in response to the riots. If a city or state refuses, “I will deploy the U.S. military and quickly solve the problem for them,” he said, citing his authority under the Insurrection Act of 1807.

“I am your president of law and order,” Trump said.

Trump also fully activated the D.C. National Guard, deploying 1,200 troops to the city’s streets to respond to the protests, according to a senior defense official. Trump has also requested additional forces from other states, and 600 to 800 Guardsmen from Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Utah are expected to arrive in the city tonight.

“As we speak, I am dispatching thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel and law enforcement officers to stop the rioting, looting, vandalism, assaults and the wanton destruction of property,” Trump said.

……..

In addition, the administration plans to set up a “central command center” that will include Joint Chiefs Chair Gen. Mark Milley, Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Attorney General William Barr, in conjunction with state and local officials, White House spokesperson Kayleigh McEnany said.

……..

During the call, Esper can be heard urging officials to “dominate the battlespace.”

“The sooner that you mass and dominate the battlespace the sooner this dissipates and we can get back to the right normal,” he said.

………

On Monday, Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) called on the president to deploy military units by invoking the Insurrection Act.

“If local law enforcement is overwhelmed and needs backup, let’s see how tough these Antifa terrorists are when they’re facing off with the 101st Airborne Division,” Cotton tweeted. Trump responded on Twitter, saying: “100% Correct. Thank you Tom!”

………

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39647

Consistent #39648

Consistent #39649

Consistent #39650

Consistent #39651

Consistent #39652

ConservativeGranny #39655

I hope Trump didn’t choke when blowing all the dust off of that bible. In fact the prop he is using looks brand new. Why does he keep holding it up and showing it to the photographers? This is sickening.

Consistent #39657

EVERYDAY #39671

I’m going to be in the minority here and say I think in some places the military is needed. This is no longer peaceful protest with a few malcontents causing trouble. It’s war — a highly organized and well financed war. People are dying, businesses are being destroyed, houses of worship set on fire and desecrated. Police and the National Guard are overwhelmed, and in some cities and states, we have governors and mayors who actually side with the rioters. These politicians are actually preventing the police and the Guard from doing their job.

No, I don’t like having our military used against civilians, but right now, I think it’s becoming a necessity. I just pray we don’t have another Kent State or something akin to Tiannamen Square.

Consistent #39677

This is exactly how Trump’s campaign wants you to feel. They are using Nixon’s strategy in 1968 election, “Law and Order,” for Trump to get re-elected. Have you noticed that Trump has been using this phrase (I’m a “Law and Order” president)? That’s why his rhetoric is to incite violence, or even Civil War II.

Yesterday, in order for Trump to have a photo op at St, John’s Church across from the White House, they dispersed peaceful protesters with tear gas, flash grenades and rubber bullets. The below Tweets are from the “cleanup” yesterday.

What I saw is that some police chiefs sided with peaceful protesters, not rioters. In some places, people saw white people throwing rocks to, or spray-painting the store fronts and disappearing into the crowd, or starting the fire (Nashville, TN).

There are a lot of bad actors out there including Russia, China and the usual destroy-my-own-neighborhood people.

But the most important thing is that Trump is not fit to lead this country during all the crises we are having right now.

Consistent #39679

Everyday, you are not in the minority.

Consistent #39680

Consistent #39684

Consistent #39691

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.