Trump tries to defend his pre-riot speech as 'totally appropriate'

Source: Politico | January 12, 2021 | Quint Forgey

The president offered up his first public remarks since his supporters carried out a deadly siege on the Capitol last week.

President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended as “totally appropriate” the speech he made at a rally last week that was followed by his supporters launching a deadly siege of the Capitol.

In his first live remarks since the violence last Wednesday, Trump deflected blame and sought to highlight other politicians’ comments last summer about protests against racial injustice and police brutality.

“If you read my speech — and many people have done it, and I’ve seen it both in the papers and in the media, on television — it’s been analyzed, and people thought that what I said was totally appropriate,” Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews, en route to Alamo, Texas.

“And if you look at what other people have said — politicians at a high level — about the riots during the summer, the horrible riots in Portland and Seattle and various other places, that was a real problem, what they said,” Trump continued.

“But they’ve analyzed my speech and my words and my final paragraph, my final sentence, and everybody — to the tee — thought it was totally appropriate.”

……..

Speaking outside the White House earlier Tuesday, Trump condemned House Democrats’ efforts to impeach him a second time, saying it was a “continuation of the greatest witch hunt in the history of politics.”

“I think it’s causing tremendous anger,” he added, according to a White House pool report.

……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #46351

Consistent #46352

ConservativeGranny #46356

I want a list of names of everyone who told him his speech was totally appropriate.

Consistent #46358

Consistent #46359

EVERYDAY #46361

Granny, he will lie till the day he dies.

It wasn’t just that speech last Wednesday. Trump has been inciting his cult for the last 4 years. More recently, the rhetoric has ramped up when he insisted the election was “stolen.” But he has been grooming his cult for a violent overthrow of our government for a long time. It’s just that many didn’t notice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.