Trump unsure if Mattis will stay: 'He's sort of a Democrat'

Source: The Hill | October 14, 2018 | Brett Samuels

President Trump said in an interview broadcast Sunday that it’s possible Defense Secretary James Mattis will leave his administration.

Trump told Lesley Stahl of “60 Minutes” that Mattis hasn’t told him that he intends to leave his post, but demurred when asked if he’d like to see the general depart the Cabinet.

“I have a very good relationship with him,” Trump said. “I had lunch with him two days ago. I have a very good relationship with him. It could be that he is.

“I think he’s sort of a Democrat, if you want to know the truth,” the president continued. “But General Mattis is a good guy. We get along very well. He may leave. I mean, at some point, everybody leaves. Everybody. People leave. That’s Washington.”

Mattis’s departure has been the subject of speculation for weeks, with multiple news outlets reporting that Trump has been weighing potential replacements.

The president later denied those reports, citing Mattis’s response to Bob Woodward’s book, “Fear,” which reported exchanges in which the Defense secretary criticizes the president to other staffers and questions Trump’s understanding of key issues.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.