Trump urges GOP to defend him more strongly on impeachment

Source: The Hill | October 21, 2019 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Monday urged Republicans to offer him a tougher defense on impeachment amid a few signs of GOP discontent with his administration.

At a Cabinet meeting, Trump praised Democratic unity while criticizing his own party for not sticking together.

“The two things they have: They’re vicious and they stick together,” he said of Democrats. “They don’t have Mitt Romney in their midst. They don’t have people like that.”

Trump said Republicans have to “get tougher and fight” to counteract Democrats pursuing an impeachment inquiry.

“I watched a couple of people on television today. They were talking about what a phony deal it is. What a phony investigation it is,” Trump said during the Cabinet meeting, dismissing allegations that he’s abused his office.

“And Republicans have to get tougher and fight,” he continued. “We have some that are great fighters, but they have to get tougher and fight because the Democrats are trying to hurt the Republican party for the election, which is coming up, where we’re doing very well.”

Asked later to elaborate on his desire to see Republicans get tougher, Trump said he felt Democrats were “vicious.”

“I think the Democrats fight dirty. I think the Democrat are lousy politicians with lousy policy,” he said. 

Trump added that so-called “Never Trump” Republicans “might be worse than the Democrats.”

“The good news is they’re dying off fast,” he said.

……..

Trump was asked Monday if he felt it was a foregone conclusion that Democrats will impeach him, and seemed to suggest he thought that might be the case.

“I think they want to,” he said. “Any Democrat wants to because they’re not gong to beat me in the election. So of course they want to impeach.”

Trump called the investigation into him “illegitimate.”

“It cannot be the way our founders, our great founders, meant this to be,” he said.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #32747

Consistent #32785

EVERYDAY #32797

This is rich. Trump has forgotten — or he thinks everyone else has forgotten — that when he took office, one of the first things he did was criticize his own party, calling them names and refusing to work with them. Now that Trump’s in trouble, he expects these Republicans to defend him?

Yes, the party as a whole is lazy and corrupt, but I also think that many Republicans were afraid to speak out against him. This was particularly true when the ones in congress were running for re-election. They thought they needed Trump’s support to win and were fearful that, if they crossed him in some way, he and his allies like Steve Bannon would “primary” them or otherwise destroy their campaigns..

I believe now that Trump is in trouble, his hold over these Republicans has loosened and we can expect more of them will turn their back on him. And rightly so.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.