Trump viciously attacks NBC News reporter in extended rant after being asked for message to Americans worried about coronavirus

Source: CNN | March 20, 2020 | Oliver Darcy

New York (CNN Business) – In an extraordinary exchange on Friday, President Donald Trump viciously attacked an NBC News reporter who asked what his message would be to Americans who are frightened by the coronavirus pandemic that is spreading across the country.

The exchange, which occurred at the White House’s daily coronavirus task force briefing, began when NBC News reporter Peter Alexander asked Trump whether he was giving Americans “false hope” by touting unproven coronavirus drugs.

Toward the end of the exchange, Alexander cited the latest pandemic statistics showing thousands of Americans are now infected and millions are scared.

Alexander asked, “What do you say to Americans who are scared?”

Trump, shaking his head, ripped into Alexander in response.

“I say that you are a terrible reporter,” Trump replied. “That’s what I say.”

The President proceeded to launch into an extended rant against Alexander, saying he asked a “nasty question” and assailing NBC and its parent company, Comcast.

“You’re doing sensationalism,” Trump charged. “And the same with NBC and Comcast. I don’t call it Comcast. I call it ‘Con-Cast.'”

“Let me just tell you something,” Trump added. “That’s really bad reporting. And you ought to get back to reporting instead of sensationalism.”

………

Alexander said in a statement that he was “trying to provide the president an opportunity to reassure the millions of Americans, members of my own family and my neighbors and my community and plenty of people sitting at home, this was his opportunity to do that, to provide a positive or uplifting message. Instead, you saw the president’s answer to that question right now.”

“The bottom line is, this is a president whose experiences in life are very different than most Americans across this country right now,” Alexander said. “Not a person who likely worries about finances or had, not a person who in the course of his life is worried about his future, not a person who is worried about where to find a paycheck for his bills or for his rent and as evidenced by the president suggesting that an opportunity to provide for American some reassurance about how they should feel right now, the president instead took it out on me.”

………

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #36490

Consistent #36491

Consistent #36492

Consistent #36493

Consistent #36494

Consistent #36495

Consistent #36498

Consistent #36499

Consistent #36505

Consistent #36506

EVERYDAY #36509

People are still expecting leadership from Trump? The guy does not know how to lead. The reality tv president

Compare his hot air sessions with any speech or press conferences by President Reagan. In times of trouble, President Reagan knew how to uplift and encourage. He also didn’t pick fights with the press or stage any other phony-baloney controversy. Trump will never understand that press conferences and speeches are not done for ratings. They are for informing and when necessary, encouraging people.

These daily press briefing/conferences are doing nothing for the American people and should be discontinued until and unless there is something major to report. And I still say Trump should not even be there when they are held. What happened to Pence being in charge anyway?

ConservativeGranny #36510

Trump cannot give up control of any situation. You can see in a couple of these conferences he directs Pence to back him up like a puppet. Every time Trump opens his mouth he just makes things worse. Last night sounded more like he was campaigning patting himself on the back. It was all about him. Totally ignoring the facts and shortage of vital supplies pretending that he is getting along just swimmingly with the governors. All one has to do is read the news to see that the governors are frustrated and not happy with him at all. This administration’s entire response to this crisis has been extremely lacking in both urgency and competence. I couldn’t believe that we have the federal government and states competing for the same supplies. One hand doesn’t seem to know what the other is doing. Trump told the governors they were on their own. Their problems do not interest him. He only wants to paint a bright picture for his re-election.

Consistent #36511

Consistent #36512

EVERYDAY #36518

Exactly, Mr. Mann. These press conferences are all about Trump, not about what’s best for the American people he is supposed to lead. They should be discontinued, or as Mr. Bardella says, record, then air them after they have been fact checked and maybe have someone who actually as knowledge give us the real skinny.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.