Trump was supposed to be a political Godzilla in exile. Instead, he’s adrift.

Source: Politico | March 14, 2021 | Gabby Orr and Meridith McGraw

Even allies say the president is lacking an apparatus and direction as he sorts out just what he wants to do in his post-presidency.

He backed away from creating a third party and has soured on the costly prospect of launching his own TV empire or social media startup.

His vow to target disloyal Republicans with personally-recruited primary challengers has taken a backseat to conventional endorsements of senators who refused to indulge his quest to overturn the 2020 election.

And though he was supposed to build a massive political apparatus to keep his MAGA movement afloat, it’s unclear to Republicans what his PAC is actually doing, beyond entangling itself in disputes with Republican icons and the party’s fundraising arms.

Ex-president Donald Trump finds himself adrift while in political exile. And Republicans, and even some allies, say he is disorganized, torn between playing the role of antagonist and party leader.

“There is no apparatus, no structure and part of that is due to a lack of political understanding on Trump’s behalf,” said a person close to the former president, noting that Trump has struggled to learn the ropes of post-presidential politicking.

“It’s like political phantom limbs. He doesn’t have the same political infrastructure he did three months ago as president,” added GOP strategist Matt Gorman, who previously served as communications director for the National Republican Congressional Committee.

The version of Trump that has emerged in the month and a half since he left office is far from the political godzilla many expected him to be. He was supposed to unleash hell on a party apparatus that recoiled when his supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 and declined to fiercely defend him during his second impeachment. Instead, Trump has maintained close ties to GOP officials who have committed to supporting incumbents, stayed almost entirely out of the spotlight, delivered fairly anodyne remarks the one time he emerged, and offered only sparse criticism of his successor, Joe Biden.

The cumulative result is political whiplash, as the former president shifts from wanting to support the GOP with his resources and grassroots appeal one day to refocusing on his own brand and thirst for vengeance the next. In the past week alone, Trump has gone from threatening party bodies for using his name and likeness in their fundraising efforts to offering up his Mar-a-Lago estate as a host site for part of the Republican National Committee’s spring donor retreat. He savagely attacked veteran GOP operative Karl Rove for criticizing his first post-presidency speech at the annual Conservative Political Action Committee, and endorsed Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), who repeatedly scrutinized Trump’s own trade practices while in office.

……..

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #47935

EVERYDAY #47942

I was reading something else that suggested Trump is physically unwell. It had photos of what may have shown a bruise on his face and there was speculation he had lost weight unexpectedly. Well, the photos might have been altered and as for his supposed weight loss, I had heard rumors he wears a girdle.

Whatever. I would not count Trump out just yet. I am sure the now heated up New York investigations and the possibility the new US Attorney General might be after him are weighing on his mind and that could explain his loss of focus (but he never could focus on anything that didn’t interest or benefit him). His attorneys might claim he is ill to avoid jail time, but I don’t think he is in such bad shape as these stories suggest.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.