Trump's ex-chief of staff agrees with Mattis: 'We need to look harder at who we elect'

Source: The Hill | June 5, 2020 | Brett Samuels

Former White House chief of staff John Kelly said Friday he agrees with former Defense Secretary James Mattis’s blistering rebuke of President Trump and his handling of protests in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death.

“I agree with him,” Kelly said during an interview with former Trump communications director Anthony Scaramucci.

“He’s quite a man, Gen. Jim Mattis, and for him to do that tells you where he is relative to the concern he has for our country,” Kelly added.

……..

“I think we really need to step back. I think we need to look harder at who we elect,” he said. 

“What is their character like? What are their ethics?” he continued. “Are they willing, if they’re elected, to represent all of their constituents, not just the base, but all of their constituents? And then look at the politics.”

……..

Kelly, asked what his counsel on the clearing of protesters on Monday would have been, said he would have considered whether the White House had the legal authority to act and whether it was “good for America.”

“I would argue that the end result of that was predictable,” he said. “The jury’s still out on tear gas and who got hit… but I would’ve argued against it. Recommended against it.”

Kelly became the latest military figure to back Mattis or criticize the president in the wake of Monday’s chaos.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39876

EVERYDAY #39891

“I think we need to look harder at who we elect…”

Back in the day most voters looked carefully at the candidates. They found out where the candidates stood on the issues. Voters did their best to make an informed decision.

Today, they vote based on emotion. Say the right words, make the right promises and voters will swoon. And it helps to have plenty of tv experience. I believe many voters voted for Trump just because they knew him from the Apprentice. They have embraced this reality tv president and really don’t care if he does fulfill his vision of being just like his buddies, Kim and Putin. They want a dictator who will trample on the Constitution they claim to hold dear.

Alas, I doubt the Democrats have anyone who can defeat him. Biden is a charmer, but he is also a weakling There are rumors Biden will be pushed aside in favor of a stronger candidate. But any Democrat candidate will, if elected, return us to the Obama years and worse. Other than Obama’s followers, I can’t see too many voters wanting to go backwards.

And make no mistake — the Democrats would also love to see the Constitution torn to shreds and their own version of a communist utopia instituted instead. We conscientious voters see no better choice between the candidates of the two major parties. We either have to vote third party, write in someone or not vote at all. None of these choices will help stop this country’s slide into dictatorship. We voters care — but we are outnumbered and outgunned by those who want to kill America as we know it. I wish I knew how to keep America the way our Founding Fathers intended, but I’m afraid the time to do so has passed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.