Trump’s lockdown workaround: Bring the governors to him

Source: Politico | May 14, 2020 | Anita Kumar

Without rallies to promote America’s economic reopening, Trump is having governors come to the White House to do it instead.

President Donald Trump hasn’t been able to go out, so he’s welcoming governors in.

The visits are strikingly similar: Trump touts the governors as “special” and “great” and they in turn thank him for the “enormous help in our darkest hour of need.” The president cracks a joke or two about the governor getting a negative coronavirus test sitting down next to him. And then they all pose for the cameras.

The meetings — which sometimes border on comedy despite the serious subject — have served as Trump’s workaround to his inability to hit the road and hold rallies and promote the economic reopening of America, which he believes will be key to his reelection in November.

Instead, he’s getting the governors to come to the White House to do it for him. In just three weeks, Trump has met with one-fifth of the nation’s governors, including a brief jaunt to Arizona, where he met with Republican Gov. Doug Ducey and toured a plant making face masks. On Wednesday, Trump met with Democrat Jared Polis of Colorado and Republican Doug Burgum of North Dakota, lauding both for getting their states open. Mostly gone is Trump’s war of words with governors, forfeited after some allies warned it could hurt his reelection. In its place? Mutual praise.

“We couldn’t be making the progress we’re making without you and your administration,” New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat, said during a late April Oval Office visit. “We thank you for everything.”

“I have to tell the truth,” Trump reciprocated. “He’s something.”

The visits are expected to continue, according to a White House official familiar with the plans.

………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #38984

EVERYDAY #38989

All this butt kissing is making me want to hurl.

By the way, Trump is not stuck at the White House. He’s in PA today in fact. Mercifully, he’s on the other side of the state from me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.