U.S. ambassador to Russia returning to Washington for ‘consultations’

Source: Politico | April 20, 2021 | Quint Forgey

The news of John Sullivan’s travel plans comes after the Biden administration imposed new sanctions on Moscow.

U.S. Ambassador to Russia John Sullivan announced Tuesday he will return to the United States this week for “consultations” with American officials at a critical juncture in the diplomatic relationship between Washington and Moscow.

Sullivan, an appointee of former President Donald Trump who previously served as deputy secretary of State, said in a statement that he believes “it is important for me to speak directly with my new colleagues in the Biden administration in Washington about the current state of bilateral relations between the United States and Russia.”

“Also, I have not seen my family in well over a year, and that is another important reason for me to return home for a visit,” Sullivan said, adding that he would “return to Moscow in the coming weeks before any meeting” between President Joe Biden and Russian dictator Vladimir Putin.

The news of Sullivan’s travel plans, released by the U.S. embassy in Russia, comes after the Biden administration imposed new sanctions on Russia’s government and expelled 10 Russian diplomats last week — measures designed to punish Moscow for its attempted U.S. election interference, SolarWinds cyberespionage campaign, occupation of Crimea and other malign actions.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48490

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.