U.S. promises swift aid to Turkey and Syria after deadly earthquake

Source: Politico | February 6, 2023 | Kelly Garrity

The 7.8 magnitude earthquake toppled hundreds of residential buildings in Turkey and Syria, and has so far left 1,900 dead.

The U.S. is moving quickly to send assistance to Turkey and Syria as the death toll from a powerful earthquake continues to rise, President Joe Biden said Monday.

“My Administration has been working closely with our NATO Ally Turkiye, and I authorized an immediate U.S. response. At my direction, senior American officials reached out immediately to their Turkish counterparts to coordinate any and all needed assistance,” Biden said in a statement. “Our teams are deploying quickly to begin to support Turkish search and rescue efforts and address the needs of those injured and displaced by the earthquake. U.S.-supported humanitarian partners are also responding to the destruction in Syria.”

The deadly 7.8 magnitude earthquake toppled hundreds of residential buildings in Turkey and Syria early Monday morning local time, according to reporting from The Associated Press. The death toll is expected to rise as rescue workers continue to dig through the rubble across both countries.

The U.S. response “is already underway,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Monday. “We are determined to do all that we can to help those affected by these earthquakes in the days, weeks, and months ahead.”

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #57341

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.