Ukraine says Russia fired missiles on Kyiv as UN chief was visiting

Source: The Hill | April 28, 2022 | Caroline Vakil

Ukrainian officials alleged on Thursday that Russia hit Kyiv with missiles while the United Nations secretary-general and Bulgaria’s prime minister were visiting.

“Russia stroke Kyiv with cruise missiles right when UN Secretary General @antonioguterres and Bulgarian PM @KirilPetkov visit our capital. By this heinous act of barbarism Russia demonstrates once again its attitude towards Ukraine, Europe and the world,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba tweeted.

Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov called it an attack “on world security.”

“While the UN Secretary General @antonioguterres is visiting Kyiv, a permanent member of the UN Security Council – russia – is launching missile strikes on the city. This is an attack on the security of the Secretary General and on world security!” Reznikov tweeted.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko also reported on his Instagram Thursday that Russia had attacked Kyiv.

“Friends! Tonight the enemy fired at Kyiv. Two hits in the Shevchenko district. All services are in place. Information about the victims is being clarified,” he wrote.

Guterres and Petkov both met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday.

“Bulgaria stands firmly by Ukraine,” Petkov tweeted after meeting with Zelensky, pledging to help deliver electricity and gas to the war-torn country and repair heavy machinery in Bulgarian factories.

The U.N. chief visited several areas of Ukraine, including Borodyanka, Bucha and Irpin.

“When I see those destroyed buildings, I must say what I feel. I imagined my family in one of those houses that is now destroyed and black. I see my granddaughters running away in panic, part of the family eventually killed,” Guterres said while in Borodyanka

“So, the war is an absurdity in the 21st century. The war is evil. And when one sees these situations our heart, of course, stays with the victims.”

Kuleba’s remarks come as U.S. officials on Wednesday accused Russia of executing Ukrainians who were attempting to surrender, instead of detaining them.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.