Vermont Gov. Phil Scott endorses Bill Weld for Republican presidential nomination

Source: Politico | February 15, 2020 | Evan Semones

“I’ve met with him before, I think a lot of him and his platform so I would be supporting him,” Scott said.

Vermont Gov. Phil Scott on Saturday said he’ll back Bill Weld for the 2020 Republican presidential nomination, an endorsement the Weld campaign touted as the first sitting Republican governor to publicly oppose President Donald Trump’s reelection.

In a press conference, first reported by Vermont’s WPTZ, Scott announced his decision to back the fellow Republican and former Massachusetts governor.

“I’ve met with him before, I think a lot of him and his platform so I would be supporting him,” Scott said.

“I’m a great admirer of @GovPhilScott of Vermont, and am delighted to have his endorsement in the Republican presidential primary on Super Tuesday,” Weld said. “VT has been well served in the past by Republican governors, and Gov. Scott admirably extends that tradition.”

Scott, a frequent critic of Trump, said in January that Trump “abused his powers” and shouldn’t be in office after the Senate voted to acquit the president on the two articles of impeachment brought against him by the House for delaying nearly $400 million in aid to Ukraine in an attempt to force the country to announce an investigation of his Democratic political opponents’ actions there.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #35723

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.