'We need answers': Departure of NASA's human spaceflight chief raises alarm

Source: Politico | May 19, 2020 | Jacqueline Feldscher

Douglas Loverro stepped down a week before astronauts are set to launch from U.S. soil for the first time in a decade.

The head of NASA’s human spaceflight office has resigned just one week before the agency plans to launch astronauts from American soil for the first time in nearly a decade, setting off alarm in Congress about how the turmoil might disrupt the historic mission.

Douglas Loverro had served as the associate administrator for the human exploration and operations mission directorate for just seven months. He said he was leaving the agency “with a very, very heavy heart” after making a “mistake” during his tenure, according to a letter to the workforce obtained by POLITICO.

“Throughout my long government career of over four and a half decades I have always found it to be true that we are sometimes, as leaders, called on to take risks,” wrote Loverro, who previously worked at the super-secret National Reconnaissance Office, which builds and launches military satellites. “The risks we take, whether technical, political, or personal, all have potential consequences if we judge them incorrectly. I took such a risk earlier in the year because I judged it necessary to fulfill our mission. Now, over the balance of time, it is clear that I made a mistake in that choice for which I alone must bear the consequences. “

“My leaving is because of my personal actions, not anything we accomplished together,” he continued.

While the agency officially announced Loverro’s departure as a resignation, two industry officials told POLITICO that he was pushed out by NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine.

But, reached by phone, Loverro insisted his departure is not due to a disagreement with Bridenstine or any safety concerns about next week’s launch. He also declined to offer specifics about his “mistake.”

………

Top lawmakers demanded answers late Tuesday about Loverro’s departure, especially since it occurred just eight days before the maiden voyage set for May 27 of two astronauts aboard the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39145

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.