What Does It Mean When A Candiate Suspends A Campaign

Source: Via Right Scoop Comments Page | 4 May 16 | Unknown

I read this comment on Right Scoop it was posted by someone who posted it from a source unnamed. Having read something similar but not quite the depth I believe it be accurate.

Just found this tasty tidbit:
“MARCO RUBIO AND TED CRUZ SUSPENDED THEIR CAMPAIGN. THEY HAVEN’T DROPPED OUT AND THAT’S HOW RUBIO WAS STILL ON THE BALLOTS, FOLKS!!!
CRUZ HAS NOT ENDED HIS CAMPAIGN RACE SO HE’S GONNA BE ON THE BALLOTS!.
“The field of White House candidates keeps dwindling as one presidential hopeful after another pulls out of the race. Yet the candidates inevitably say they are “suspending” their campaigns, not ending them.
The choice of language is purposeful and motivated by both political and financial calculations.
Under election law, the term “suspend” has no formal meaning. The Federal Election Commission still considers candidates who have suspended their campaign to be running. The FEC won’t formally recognize the termination of a campaign until candidates have paid off all of their debts and obligations and agree not to receive any more contributions. Until then, the candidate is still running and will still appear on ballots.
Related: Who’s Winning and Losing the 2016 Race for Campaign Cash
The financial implications can be significant. And as long as a campaign is open, candidates can continue receiving contributions that they can put toward any outstanding debt.
It takes time to wind down a campaign, too. Offices must be closed, salaries must be paid and rents need to be covered, among other obligations. Once a campaign is suspended, candidates sometimes ask the public to donate in order to help pay off campaign debts.
Candidates with a suspended campaign can also continue receiving federal matching funds. Those matching funds are less of a factor these days when so many presidential candidates opt out of public financing because of the financial limitations involved, but the ability to continue to raise money toward campaign debts and expenses is key at a time when the costs of mounting a campaign continue to climb.
In terms of the politics involved, suspending a campaign instead of terminating it also leaves the candidate the option to revive their bid. If the candidate senses an opening as the race continues — if a frontrunner stumbles or unexpectedly drops out — the candidate still has the ability to jump back in.
Related: The GOP Shake-Up After Iowa
Candidates who suspend their campaigns also still hold on to their pledged delegates and are able to direct those votes to one of the other candidates — a potentially powerful bargaining chip. Candidates who completely drop out of a race must forfeit any delegates they have.”

One more additional comment on the above:

He may very well be back at the convention. He’s got somewhere around 550 delegates right now and he may get another 50 or so in the remaining primaries. And those numbers are just the delegates pledged to him on the first ballot. There could easily be another 200 to 300 that support him but are forced to vote Trump on the first ballot. Many of those delegates will end up on the rules and credentials committees.Who knows what rules may emerge from a block of delegates that are upset over spending $2000 or $3000 to go to Cleveland only to put a despicable candidate on the November ballot. It ain’t over.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • ConstitutionalConservative #5714

I had some idea but wasn’t exactly sure what all was meant by Suspended Campaign.
    So I guess if this is accurate, although highly unlikely, there is still a shred of hope if you take into account Trump may still blow up. I know it is clinging but what else is there.

CA Surveyor #5731

The campaign is still operating normally as to gathering delegates.

If people have any shred of intelligence, Trump still will not get to the halfway point.

The 2:1 anti-Trump factor is still there in the remaining states.

The California Republican Assembly is still endorsing Cruz, and opposed to Trump.

I believe that Oregon and Washington are in similar shape.

Time will tell. I still plan to vote for Cruz in June.

Victoria #5734

I didn’t read the above because I know what suspends means. If the candidate suspends, they can continue to gather money to pay off their debts. If they “end” their campaign, they cannot collect another dollar. No one “ends”, they all “suspend” in order to gather money to pay off their debts. THAT IS THE REASON FOR SUSPENDING A CAMPAIGN. I worked for ten years in politics and that is what suspend means.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.