What would the Apostle Paul say about the 2016 election?

Source: Conservative Review | September 12, 2016 | Steve Deace

….

Based on his extensive writings in the Scriptures, here’s how I believe the Apostle Paul would counsel us on the 2016 election.

First of all, Paul — like most of the New Testament writers — was Jewish. But unlike his fellow Jewish New Testament authors such as Peter, Paul was highly educated as the protégé of a legendary rabbi at the time. Therefore, Paul would be well-acquainted with the words of Exodus 18:21, when Moses becomes the first person in the Scriptures granted the authority to select representatives to govern on his behalf:

Moreover, look for able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens.

I believe Paul would ask any believer compel a candidate to meet this minimum threshold before voting for him. To fear God means to understand who one is ultimately accountable for his decisions once elected, which is why we require an oath, “So help me God” before assuming office. Candidates must also be persons of integrity in both their personal and private lives, as well as able to avoid the temptation to use their authority to promote their self-interest above the public interest.

Unfortunately, neither of the major candidates most likely to win the presidency this November meets this minimum threshold. What would Paul have us do in this case?

Given the fact both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton fail to meet the minimum biblical requirements for public office, I don’t think there’s any biblical argument Paul would spend an iota of time on lobbying or shaming Christians into voting for either one. Instead, I believe he would use the platform of this election to bring focus and attention upon the gospel.

That the reason we’re facing such a Kobayashi Maru scenario as a culture is because we’ve turned away from our first love and turned our backs on God — the source of our rights. I think Paul’s primary concern with both Trump and Clinton would be the condition of their souls, more so than the merits of their platforms.

I think he would clearly and publicly denounce so-called “Christian leaders” who advocate politically for such people, without sharing the gospel with them and urging them to repent of their sins. He would remind them that instead of posing publicly with King Herod, John the Baptist publicly called him to repentance. And Christ said of John the Baptist, “Among those born of women there has risen no one greater.”

I also think Paul would clearly distinguish the false teachers promoting both candidates from the real gospel. Whether it’s the “Jesus is Che Guevara” social justice warriors on the Left, or the “Jesus wants you to be rich” prosperity heretics on the Right. He would be very concerned that with the high profile of a presidential election promoting such error, we “would exchange the truth for a lie.” Further blurring the lines to a culture which has lost its plumb line.  

There is still one more aspect of this election that I’m confident would concern Paul — the division it’s causing among the brethren.

While I don’t think there’s any biblical argument to be made Paul would vote for either Trump or Clinton, I also think there’s strong biblical evidence he would not spend much of his time condemning those who do. Provided they’re not watering down or distorting the gospel to justify it.

….

Finally, I believe Paul would remind us that whether we choose to vote in this election, or how we choose to vote, God is primarily concerned with our motivation for doing so.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.