Whitaker says he won't testify unless Dems withdraw subpoena threat

Source: The Hill | February 7, 2019 | Olivia Beavers

Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker is threatening to not testify before the House Judiciary Committee on Friday after Democrats on the panel voted to authorize the use of a subpoena against him if he did not attend or refused to answer certain questions.

Whitaker said in a statement Thursday that the Democratic-led panel “has deviated from historic practice and protocol and taken the unnecessary and premature step of authorizing a subpoena to the me [sic], the acting attorney general, even though I had agreed to voluntarily appear.”

“Such unprecedented action breaches our prior agreement and circumvents the constitutionally required accommodation process. Based upon today’s action, it is apparent that the Committee’s true intention is not to discuss the great work of the Department of Justice, but to create a public spectacle. Political theater is not the purpose of an oversight hearing, and I will not allow that to be the case,” he said.

“Consistent with longstanding practice, I remain willing to appear to testify tomorrow, provided that the Chairman assures me that the Committee will not issue a subpoena today or tomorrow, and that the Committee will engage in good faith negotiations before taking such a step down the road.”

Whitaker gave Democrats a deadline of 6 p.m. Thursday to respond about their threat to subpoena him.

The statement came hours after the Judiciary Committee voted 23-13 along party lines to authorize a subpoena for Whitaker if he did not appear before the panel or declined to answer certain questions.

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #27714

Consistent #27717

Consistent #27721

Consistent #27722

Consistent #27728

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.