White House fires Pentagon advisory board members, installs loyalists

Source: Politico | December 4, 2020 | Lara Seligman, Daniel Lippman and Jacqueline Feldscher

The board firings come less than a month after President Donald Trump pushed out Defense Secretary Mark Esper.

The White House removed nine members of the Pentagon’s Defense Business Board on Friday and installed people loyal to President Donald Trump in their place, including presidential allies Corey Lewandowski and David Bossie.

The firings marked the latest effort by the Trump administration to clean out the Defense Department in the final weeks of the president’s term.

Members of the board received a brief email from Joshua Whitehouse, the White House liaison to the Department of Defense, that simply said, “if you are receiving this e-mail, your membership on the Defense Business Board has expired or is coming to an end.”

“A number of board members have been terminated with a form letter. In my experience, I was very surprised that the White House would, at the eleventh hour, adjust an advisory board that for 19 years has had a record of nonpartisan support with the department,” Michael Bayer, who until today was board chair, told POLITICO.

“This kind of a move really will weigh heavily on people on the future and their willingness to serve on these outside advisory boards if they’re going to be subjected to political loyalty tests. It’s unprecedented. I’m just saddened,” he added.

Besides Bayer, the other board members who were let go are Arnold Punaro, Atul Vashistha, John O’Connor, David Venlet, Paul Dolan, Scott Dorn, David Walker and David Van Slyke.

A statement by the Pentagon said the members’ terms had expired. Yet three former board members who spoke to POLITICO said their tours were not close to ending.

The firings came as a shock to the board members, who had not received any negative feedback or warning prior to their termination. One former board member lamented the move, noting that the board “has never been political, ever.”

“You are talking about 15, 20 executives, business leaders, government leaders, who are giving their time to serve the nation and not even a thank you note,” said the person, who asked not to be named. “It’s just about simple gratitude and appreciation for people.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45180

Consistent #45181

EVERYDAY #45184

So I guess he’s planning a military coup? Meanwhile, both houses of congress spend their time arguing over stimulus and do nothing.

Consistent #45225

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.