Why There Is No Greater Friend of the Jewish People Than Ted Cruz

Source: Haaretz | April 18, 2016 |

I want to tell you about the person I have worked with closely for the past two years: Not a day goes by that Ted Cruz doesn’t think about the Jews and Israel.

I want to tell you about the person I have worked with closely for the past two years. Sen. Ted Cruz is not just my boss, but has become my mentor and my friend. We have traveled the country together; I have seen him in good times and bad. We have worked side by side on some of the biggest issues facing America and the world. I have watched him speak in synagogues in Los Angeles, Miami and New York; spend Passover in Texas and California; listen to the shofar, bake matzah, read the Megillah and light the menorah.

There is no greater friend of the Jewish people and of Israel.

….

People often ask me why the senator focuses so much on these issues. I believe he relates to the struggles and hopes of the Jewish people because his father also fled oppression in a foreign country and came to America seeking freedom and opportunity. While he would never compare what his father went through to what the Jews suffered in the Holocaust, he always quotes his father as saying: “When I fled Cuba, at least we had somewhere to go. If we lose America, where do we go?” The senator believes that Israel, like America, is an important beacon for hope and freedom.

On a personal level, I have never seen Cruz lose his temper. I have seen the respect with which he treats everyone around him – whether it is his wife and daughters, his staff or a taxi driver on the street. His respect for religion enables me to thrive as an Orthodox Jew on his staff, and he makes a personal effort to ensure I get home in time for Shabbos and have kosher food wherever we travel. After a long day on the road, I will pull out my Gemarah to study, and he never fails to ask me what that day’s daf is about.

….

America is at a crossroads. Like in 1980, when Americans rejected the failed foreign and domestic policies of Jimmy Carter and elected Ronald Reagan, we have an opportunity in this election to restore America’s leadership in the world, grow our economy and create jobs, and return our country to constitutional principles, including religious liberty.

For the first time in many years, New York is a battleground in the Republican primary. The Jewish community can play a significant role in electing Ted Cruz as the next president of the United States.

I am not a rabbinic authority and am still working on semicha, but I believe with all my heart that it is a great and important mitzvah for each and every Jew who can vote in the Republican primary to get to the polls on Tuesday and vote for the next president of the United States and my friend, Ted Cruz.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.