Will the GOP Delegates Keep with the Spirit of 1776?

Source: Conservative Review | July 4, 2016 | Steve Deace

The 240th anniversary of our nation’s Declaration of Independence seems more lamentation than celebration in 2016, as we watch in horror, disgust and disappointment while much of the culture sprints towards Gomorrah.

And if something drastic and courageous isn’t done by delegates at the upcoming GOP convention, who knows how much closer to history’s ash heap we’ll be one year from now. I would queue the Founding Fathers to roll over in their graves at this point, but something tells me they’re all rolled out. If they’ve seen the mess we’ve made of the place and simply decided to trade righteous indignation for an enjoyable dirt nap, no one would blame them.

….

And so it is that little, non-gender specified beings born into a land that was created for so much more are now made to parrot the blasphemy that they have no king but Caesar. We’re supposedly celebrating men who didn’t follow unjust “laws” decreed by bureaucrats and tyrants but rather rebelled and followed their divinely-seared consciences instead. But such men are lost to history now, replaced by people pleasers and those who think standing up for what you believe in means deciding to post a sharply-worded Facebook status.

All because we have rarely known a life that was truly fertile with God-ordained liberty, and the pursuit of genuine happiness. Square, glorious pegs though they may be, our children’s entire lives will be a lesson in pounding them into a spiritually deadening round hole.

Unless…

Maybe, just maybe, on this national birthday, we will look closer than ever before at our children as they wave a tiny flag while watching a parade. Or as they run through the yard with a sparkler in their hand and a gleam in their eye that says the world is full of glorious magic. And we will say to ourselves, ‘I’ll be damned if this once great country dies on my watch. I’ll be damned if my kids’ most lasting inheritance from me is that I stood by and did nothing as Election 2016 went the way of Mad King George in a pantsuit meets reality TV conman.”

….

From the Declaration’s closing paragraph: “We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.”

Now, on this very day, our own grip on reality is once again at stake. Perhaps prophetically, we are only weeks away from another group of assembled Americans gathering together in Cleveland. It is a marvelous opportunity. Nearly miraculous in its timing considering the chaos that swirls around it. Will the delegates who attend the Republican National Convention arrive under a spirit of defeatist passivity or divine and patriotic pilgrimage? Can they, will they, show us the way to a path blazed by the better angels of our nature?

….

It will be a true, modern-day Tea Party. As delegates dump overboard the symbol of a corrupt system that keeps choosing our loser nominees, with this one being the worst. Take away the war hero of McCain, and the American Rockwell painting that is the Romney family, and that’s Trump. All of the things you didn’t like about our previous two losers, but with none of the stuff you actually did. Trump and his imploding campaign is the ultimate poison pill thrust down our throats by a media that hates us but we all too often let pick our candidates anyway. Tossing him overboard will be the delegates saying they will not go along with this corrupt paradigm any longer, just as those Boston patriots of old once said.

….

On the eve of our first Independence Day, founding father John Adams wrote the following to his wife, Abigail:

…this will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great    anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. — I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. — Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.

To rue something means to regret it, or view the occasion as bittersweet. Let’s face it, if we haven’t already become the generation Adams warned us about, which would rue the day of our independence, we are perilously close to the cliff.

It took only a few good men to side with providence and change the destiny of a nation 240 years ago. In three weeks, I pray there will be a few good men in Cleveland willing to follow in their footsteps.

For if not, we may very well become the people Ronald Reagan once warned us about.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.