Wisconsin woman says she got coronavirus despite taking hydroxychloroquine for years

Source: source | May 20, 2020 | Zack Budryk

A Wisconsin woman who has taken the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine for years to treat lupus said she caught the coronavirus earlier this year.

The woman, who asked to be referred to as Kim, told a Wisconsin CBS affiliate she had taken the drug for 19 years but began experiencing coronavirus symptoms in mid-April. Kim said that she contracted the virus despite only leaving her home in Om Oconomowoc, Wis., to grocery shop after lockdown measures were imposed.

“When they gave the diagnosis, I felt like it was a death sentence. I was like, ‘I’m going to die,’” she said. “I’m like, ‘How can I be sick? How? I’m on the hydroxychloroquine.’ They were like, ‘Well, nobody’s ever said that was the cure or that was going to keep you safe’ and it definitely did not.”

President Trump has frequently touted the drug as a potential prophylactic for the virus. This week, the president said that he has been taking it in combination with a zinc supplement as a preventative measure.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.