With President Trump coming in January, I now defer to you, the American people

Source: Conservative Review | November 9, 2016 | Steve Deace

….

I weep not for the Clintons and their decades’ worth of corruption and chicanery that led many people to conclude they were criminals. Goodbye and good riddance as far as they’re concerned. And though morally I could not bring myself to pull the lever for Trump, I am grateful Hillary Clinton will not be making life and death decisions on behalf of me and my children.

Not to mention this election is a complete repudiation of progressivism, the immoral ideology I have dedicated my career to defeat. Republicans, largely in response to both Hillary’s corruption and President Obama’s wretched resume of anti-constitutional governance, will now control all three branches of government. Let us pray they do more for liberty with it this time than they did during the George W. Bush years.

However, the country didn’t just say no to another Clinton last night. It also decided to place Trump in the Oval Office. For the first time since Eisenhower rode a wave of post-World War II popularity to victory, someone who’s never held elected office has been elected to the nation’s highest office. Though Trump and Ike couldn’t be more different, the last time we traveled this road it led to a Pax Americana many fondly recall. We can only hope and pray history repeats itself, despite the lingering concerns about Trump’s temperament that still remain.

….

Going forward for our movement, I believe the best way to have more delights than disappointments is to maintain our conservative principles, rather than redefining them for any politician. Therefore, we should praise President Trump enthusiastically when he does what is right, but oppose him just as passionately if/when he does not. Especially because a man of Trump’s persona respects strength much more than shills.

In other words, exactly what we didn’t do in the George W. Bush years until amnesty and Harriet Miers, when by then it was too late to save us from the defeats to come in 2006 and 2008.

….

I said before the election that while I trembled at the prospect of Hillary Clinton externally bringing the full, coercive power of government against our values, I was internally concerned that we would redefine our values to conform to Trump’s image if he won. Which until recently has been anything but conservative. Many of you told me to have more faith in our movement, and that I was overly worried about this.

I now defer to you.

That’s why I’m wiping the slate clean from this time forward. So I’m going to give Trump every chance to be the leader this country desperately needs. Because I know this, my internal concerns are less likely to materialize if we stand together. Thus, with the hope that the hopes you’ve placed in President Trump will be realized, I will stand with you. Anticipating that if he should unfortunately go astray, like so many previous would-be champions before him, you will then stand with me.

For you have sent a powerful message to the elites. It is now time they must defer to you also.

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.