5-year-old…to become youngest person ever at the National Spelling Bee

Source: Mashable | March 7, 2017 | Christina Careaga

5-year-old crushes competition to become youngest person ever at the National Spelling Bee

….

Edith Fuller just made history by becoming the youngest person to ever qualify for the Scripps National Spelling Bee at only 5 years old, after expertly out-spelling more than 50 competitors at the 2017 Scripps Green Country Regional Spelling Bee in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

After correctly spelling the word ‘jnana,’ a term for knowledge in Hinduism according to Merriam-Webster, Fuller was guaranteed a spot in the National Spelling Bee in Washington D.C this May, where she will compete against kids from across the country as old as 15.

…..

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #14196

EVERYDAY #14197

When I was in the regional bee, participants had to be at least 11 years old (sixth grade). A 5 year old in the bee is remarkable.

I suppose this young lady has parents who care about her education. Far too many parents, it seems, are too busy to even read to their child. Never too early to start learning.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by EVERYDAY.
    Consistent #14212
    ConservativeGranny #14216

I watched the video and this little girl is amazing. I couldn’t believe she was spelling words that I had never heard of.

I think she is very gifted. I always wonder what happens to these types of children as they grow older. How did they fare and what did they end up doing.

I have two 5 year old grandchildren who aren’t even reading yet. Her family must be very proud of her.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.