Crenshaw: Republicans can't 'excommunicate' Trump

Source: The Hill | May 16, 2021 | Joseph Choi

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Texas) on Sunday argued that the GOP could not simply “excommunicate” former President Trump from its ranks, although he declined to say whether he believes Trump is the “legitimate leader of the Republican Party.”

During an interview on “Meet the Press” that frequently became heated, host Chuck Todd asked Crenshaw if he believes Trump is the “legitimate leader of the Republican Party.”

“Hold on. I believe that you’re not going to excommunicate a former president, right? And I refuse to — I refuse to go into the sort of black and white thinking about it’s either totally one thing or totally the other,” Crenshaw replied.

“These are complex human relationships that involve millions of people,” he added. “Look, I do not think Trump is the devil, and I won’t say that. I don’t think he’s Jesus either, you know? I’m a rational human being about this.”

“I’m going to agree where I agree. I’m going to disagree where I disagree. And I refuse to allow this drama to engulf us,” Crenshaw said.

……..

Todd shot back that Crenshaw’s evaluation was incorrect, saying there was “nothing lazier” than the argument the congressman put forward. Todd argued that it was Trump who was keeping the focus on him and on the “drama” of the Republican Party.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.