Cruz: Tax reform chances ‘drop significantly’ if healthcare fails

Source: The Hill | July 22, 2017 | Max Greenwood

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said on Saturday that Republicans’ efforts to overhaul the nation’s tax code are likely to hinge on whether lawmakers are able to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

“I believe tax reform happens, but I think tax reform and ObamaCare are intertwined,” he said on Fox Business Network. “If we get ObamaCare done – and I think we’ve got to – then I think the chances of tax reform skyrocket. If ObamaCare crashes and burns, I think the chances of tax reform drop significantly.”

Republicans in the Senate have struggled to reach an agreement on a measure to overhaul the country’s healthcare system, throwing into peril their seven-year promise to repeal former President Obama’s signature healthcare law.

The ongoing battle over healthcare reform has largely put on hold the GOP’s work on tax reform – a key legislative priority of President Trump. 

Some Republicans, fatigued by multiple failed efforts to repeal ObamaCare, have called for Congress to move onto tax reform. 

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #17585

EVERYDAY #17590

Republicans can’t find their way out of a paper bag. Of course, the real question is do Republicans want repeal of Obamacare or tax reform? I don’t believe they really want to repeal Obamacare or they would have done it easily.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.