Debbie Wasserman Schultz to Resign D.N.C. Post

Source: New York Times | July 24, 2016 | Jonathan Martin and Alan Rappeport

PHILADELPHIA — Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the Democratic National Committee chairwoman, said on Sunday that she would step down from the role at the conclusion of party’s convention this week after a hack into the party’s internal emails revealed she and top aides had actively attempted to undermine Senator Bernie Sanders’s presidential bid.

Ms. Wasserman Schultz, a Florida congresswoman, was meeting with advisers behind closed doors at a hotel here, a day before the party’s convention was set to begin, and had faced growing calls for her resignation over the weekend.

“I know that electing Hillary Clinton as our next president is critical for America’s future,” Ms. Wasserman Schultz said in a statement. “I look forward to serving as a surrogate for her campaign in Florida and across the country to ensure her victory.”

She added: “Going forward, the best way for me to accomplish those goals is to step down as Party Chair at the end of this convention.”

Donna Brazile, the D.N.C. said, will be the interim chairwoman through the election.

….

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.