Defying Wisconsin governor, Trump says he will still visit Kenosha

Source: Politico | August 31, 2020 | Quint Forgey

The president also attacked the mayor of Portland after a deadly shooting in the city over the weekend.

President Donald Trump declared Monday that he would move ahead with a planned trip to Kenosha, Wis., in defiance of Gov. Tony Evers’ request that he stay away from the state amid raw tensions surrounding protests against racial injustice and police brutality.

“If I didn’t INSIST on having the National Guard activate and go into Kenosha, Wisconsin, there would be no Kenosha right now,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Also, there would have been great death and injury. I want to thank Law Enforcement and the National Guard. I will see you on Tuesday!”

The president’s social media post comes after the Associated Press reported that the governor sent a letter to the White House on Sunday urging Trump to reconsider his scheduled visit to Kenosha.

“I, along with other community leaders who have reached out, are concerned about what your presence will mean for Kenosha and our state,” Evers wrote. “I am concerned your presence will only hinder our healing. I am concerned your presence will only delay our work to overcome division and move forward together.”

But White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany insisted Monday that “this president will go to Kenosha” in defiance of Evers’ plea.

“He loves the people of Wisconsin, and he looks forward to speaking directly to them and unifying the state,“ she told Fox News.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42410

Consistent #42416

EVERYDAY #42423

Get a clue, Little Donnie. No one in Kenosha wants you there. I hear Mr. Blake and his family don’t want to see you. I don’t blame them. Why would they want to be props for your campaign?

The only ones who want Trump in Wisconsin are his idiot fans. Normal people have their hands full with these protests and COVID. They don’t need Trump there to make things worse.

ConservativeGranny #42426

His being there is going to be another strain on the Kenosha PD and the economy of the city. Police will have to be paid overtime for example. The cities get stuck with this bill on top of the expenses for repairing the damage. Trump is entirely self-serving. He isn’t a calming unifying presence. Quite the opposite. Coming to Kenosha will do nothing but make things worse. In addition, he provided nothing to the state of WI. National guard troops in Wi had already been called up by the governor who issued a state of emergency and upped the number of guards as well as obtained guard from several other states. Trump has nothing to do with any of that. As far as I know, the only feds who were here where the ones scoping out security for the President’s trip to Kenosha to use the violence there as a backdrop for another campaign speech.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.