DeMint defiant after Heritage ouster

Source: Politico | May 2, 2017 | Nancy Cook

Former senator defends record, argues think tank helped shape Trump’s early agenda

Sen. Jim DeMint is not leaving the Heritage Foundation quietly.

Hours after the think tank’s board of directors unanimously voted to oust him, DeMint, through a spokesman, released his own accounting of his tenure – with more than nine bullet points listing his accomplishments.

Among them: The key role that Heritage played in the President Donald Trump’s transition; the way the think tank helped to create a list of potential Supreme Court judges including now-Justice Neil Gorsuch; Heritage’s budget blueprint that the administration used as a model; the four new research institutes founded during DeMint’s time; and its American Perceptions Initiative that conducts research to help figure out how conservatives should talk to Americans about policy ideas.

“When I came to Heritage in 2013, I told our staff and millions of members around the country that over the next four years, we had the opportunity to lead a resurgence of conservative policies and communications to win the hearts and minds of the American people,” DeMint said. “I’m grateful to have worked with some of the greatest minds and talents in America and believe we’ve accomplished together what we set out to do.”

DeMint also took a jab at the 22-member board of trustees, which accepted his resignation on Tuesday afternoon.

“The public statement released earlier is puzzling given that the board of trustees has praised our work for four years and approved performance bonuses for the entire management team each year for a job well done,” DeMint said.

…..

Tuesday’s dramatic conclusion to DeMint’s think tank career did not seem to dampen his spirits. DeMint and his wife left the think tank’s stately building near Capitol Hill following his ouster and went to a nearby restaurant for a reception with dozens of allies, Heritage employees, and people who DeMint has worked with over the years, said one source close to DeMint.

“He will still continue on his work. He’s not through yet,” added the source.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.