Democrats’ fears grow about GOP majority’s handling of Ukraine, Russia

Source: The Hill | July 20, 2022 | Mychael Schnell and Mike Lillis

As Russia’s blitz invasion of Ukraine shifts to become a slow-rolling war of attrition, Democrats on Capitol Hill say they’re increasingly concerned that a Republican majority might cut off the spigot of U.S. aid that’s proven crucial to Kyiv’s military defenses.

A number of conservative Republicans have vowed to stop funding Ukraine’s defensive efforts, citing a variety of reasons that range from domestic economic concerns, to deficit spending worries, to simple anti-interventionist sentiment. Those lawmakers are ready to press GOP leaders to halt the aid if Republicans flip the House in November’s midterm elections.

That would be a disaster, according to Democrats, who are warning that an end to U.S. aid would doom Ukrainian defenses, empower Russian President Vladimir Putin and more broadly encourage authoritarian regimes that are on the rise around the globe. 

“Clearly the Republican Party has lost its moral bearings, and that comes with regards to domestic politics but to foreign policy as well,” said Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.). “These are kids and families that don’t deserve to die from Russian missiles.”

Moulton is hardly alone. A long list of Democrats are voicing similar concerns, citing the grip that former President Trump — who had praised Putin over the course of his presidency — retains over Republican lawmakers on Capitol Hill. 

“What would worry me with a Republican majority — which is why we need to make sure that it doesn’t happen — is because they are so deeply embedded and committed to carrying Donald Trump’s water that … most of them cower in fear from his criticism,” said Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.). “So even if they, individually, might be willing to support continued aid to Ukraine and sending weapons, they are so fearful of losing power that it affects how they vote. And that’s really disturbing.”

Making the case for more aid this week has been Ukraine’s first lady, Olena Zelenska, who met Wednesday morning at the White House with President Biden before moving afterwards to the Capitol, where she addressed lawmakers from both parties and both chambers. Her message was short and simple: Russian forces are killing civilians, and Kyiv’s military forces need more help to deflect Putin’s aggression.

“Usually the wives of presidents are exclusively engaged in peaceful affairs — education, human rights, equality, accessibility and maybe you expected from me to speak on those topics,” she said. “But how can I talk about then when an unprovoked, invasive terrorist war is being waged against my country? 

“Russia is destroying our people,” she added.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.