Fauci: California had no choice but to impose stay-home orders

Source: Politico | December 7, 2020 | Kevin Yamamura

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Anthony Fauci said Monday he advised California officials that they “really don’t have any choice” but to impose stay-at-home orders that more than 33 million residents are now living under.

California’s stay-home rules are some of the strictest in the nation, limiting most nonessential activities, banning restaurant dining and prohibiting private gatherings. Gov. Gavin Newsom last week assigned counties to one of five geographic regions that would have to lock down if their intensive care unit capacity dropped below 15 percent.

Fauci spoke Monday with CNN on the same morning that President-elect Joe Biden named him as chief medical adviser on Covid-19 in addition to director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. He said he was consulted by California officials before they moved forward on their stay-home order and that he “absolutely” agreed with the state’s approach.

“In fact, I have been in discussion with the health authorities from the state of California who called me and asked,” Fauci said. “You know, they said, ‘We feel we need to do this, what do you think?’ And I said, ‘You know, you really don’t have any choice. When you have the challenge to the health care system, you’ve got to do something like that.'”

Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley had to lock down Sunday, while five Bay Area counties preemptively issued stay-home orders this weekend. Only about 15 percent of residents living in the Sacramento region, parts of the greater Bay Area and the northern reaches toward the Oregon border do not yet have to follow the lockdown restrictions.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45226

EVERYDAY #45243

Should be uniform — every county should be shut down.

My governor was on tv yesterday warning that the COVID situation here is dire and that drastic measures may be implemented. I expect lockdowns here too and perhaps in other states. None of this would be necessary if Trump cultists and others would stop screaming about their “rights” and do what they have to do to slow the spread of the virus.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.