Georgia election official: Effort to overturn 2020 results will drive down runoff turnout

Source: Politico | December 3, 2020 | Quint Forgey

“At this point, there’s no way that it can’t,” said Gabriel Sterling, the state’s voting system implementation manager.

Gabriel Sterling, a top Georgia election official, predicted Thursday that attorneys working to overturn the state’s election results on President Donald Trump’s behalf will drive down voter turnout in runoff races early next year that will determine which party controls the Senate.

“At this point, there’s no way that it can’t,” Sterling, Georgia’s voting system implementation manager, told CNN — referring to the conspiratorial claims that pro-Trump attorneys Sidney Powell and Lin Wood have leveled this week in defense of the president’s effort to reverse the outcome of the 2020 White House race.

Sterling’s remarks echo Republican anxieties that Trump’s quixotic bid to undo his election defeat, as well as his baseless allegations of widespread voter fraud, could blunt GOP support for Georgia Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, who are both competing in January runoffs that will decide whether Democrats are able to retake the Senate.

At a rally on Wednesday, Powell and Wood solicited donations and urged Republican voters against casting their ballots for the two senators, arguing that Loeffler and Perdue — both ardent Trump allies — had been insufficiently supportive of the president.

“I think I would encourage all Georgians to make it known that you will not vote at all until your vote is secure,” Powell said.

“They have not earned your vote. Don’t you give it to them,” Wood added. “Why would you go back and vote in another rigged election, for God’s sake!”

Asked on Thursday what exactly was behind Powell and Wood’s efforts to discourage support for Georgia’s two Republican senators, Sterling said: “Who the heck knows? I mean, it’s ‘Looney Tunes.’ … I’m speechless. That’s the best I’ve got right now.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #45144

Consistent #45148

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.